Sunday, February 25, 2024

Completed Category: Supporting Actress

 Yesterday I finally saw the new The Color Purple, thus completing a category!



In fact, I didn't just watch the new The Color Purple but instead made a day of it and watched the 1985 movie and then in the evening, this Awards Season's flick, which is an adaptation of an adaptation of an adaptation. You know, some Awards Season jabberers are really throwing around the nonsense that this new movie is "an adaptation of the book."  That is such a lie. For one thing it is based on the musical straight up. Like, your screenplay includes book and songs from the musical. Pretty sure those songs weren't in Alice Walker's book!  (I read it!)  And then, I suppose someone COULD skip over the 1985 film adaptation - but you didn't. It is absolutely referenced and incorporated in many ways.  Multiple cast members are on the record saying this. Let's be real. Anyway, none of that is the point of this post! 

EMILY BLUNT, Oppenheimer: She was fantastic in this. I know, I know, when is she not? But my goodness does she elevate her part to the very very most it can possibly be. You know Christopher Nolan wasn't going to write a killer female part in this manly male man-fest of maleness but Emily Blunt took what was written and made it the absolute most because she's one of the greatest actresses working today, period. I want her to win an Oscar! 

DANIELLE BROOKS, The Color Purple: She was definitely great. The whole talented cast of this was great, but I suppose we had to focus on someone and she sure was strong and confident and funny and heartbreaking and amazing in each of her scenes, so I am very OK with this nomination.  She also mentioned that in at least one scene she consciously paid homage to Oprah (who played the role in the 1985 film this is an adaptation of an adaptation of). Does that help her chances here? I say it couldn't hurt. 

AMERICA FERRERA, Barbie:  I almost forgot about this for a second! (or rather, a month, since the nominations came out)  Of course her monologue went viral last summer as everybody discovered Feminism 101 through Barbie, and listen: I am OK with Feminism 101 - y'all have to start somewhere! -  but she also had a little bit more going on in this film than just that.  Still, even if you score straight up zero picks on your ballot and lose your entire Oscar pool, if you take a side bet about which clip from Barbie will be shown for her clip for this category, you can still win something for the evening.  As for the actual award, here, I think she is in honor-to-be-nominated territory. 

JODIE FOSTER, Nyad:  Oh godz do I want her to win. However! I also have to point out that this was really pushing it on the Supporting vs. Lead thing, which you know is my pet peeve, and on which this year otherwise is doing very well overall.  Jodie really is a co-star of this movie. But she of course gets marketed as Supporting - and not because the role is in fact Character Who Supports The Other Star in her life and quests, but because this charade is the very favorite nonsense Awards Season charade we have to endure every year.  And because that is annoying, I won't be 100% mad when she doesn't win. But I also will be fine if she shocks the hell out of everyone and wins  - which could juuuuuuuust possibly happen because she is so well-liked and connected to SO.MANY. Academy voters, and because her performance was absolutely off-the-charts.  Pitch perfect every single second. 

DA'VINE JOY RANDOLPH, The Holdovers:  You know, as I was just typing her name, I wondered: what did kids with apostrophes in their names do for that bubble back when we filled in the bubbles on the standardized test and scantron answer sheets?  Huh. Have I really never talked about this?  Two of my close friends in high school had punctuation marks in their names. Anyway, Da'Vine (or is it Da'Vine Joy?) has been winning a few statues these past few months and it's looking likely that this will be another for her. It was the scene in the kitchen that did it, I think - but also she does throw a fair amount of sass to Paul Giamatti's character, which he richly deserves I might add.  Everyone loves a misfit friends story (at least I do) and she's a strong, kind, but also fun part of this one. 

Order I want them to win: 
Jodie Foster
Emily Blunt
Da'Vine Joy Randolph
Danielle Brooks
America Ferrera 

Order I think they will win: 
Da'Vine Joy Randolph
maaaaaaaybe Jodie Foster
Emily Blunt
America Ferrera 
Danielle Brooks

They were all so great!  What a cool-ass group of actresses. 

Seriously take that Barbie monologue side bet though, if you can get anyone foolish enough to go against you on it. 


No comments: