Friday, February 24, 2006

Blogs on the Side

So in the margin there, to the left, are links to a few blogs. Don't know if any of you have clicked on them, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to say a few words about them.

My War and Peace blog is where I occasionally -- too occasionally, so not as often as I should -- post a thought or two about Tolstoy's tome. I'm on page 1000 now! And I haven't posted much on the blog at all! But I'm forever meaning to do better. What I really want is for people to comment on it. Even those of you not reading the book. So, click on the link and read a post or two and share your philosophical/political insights. You so don't have to be reading it. Seriously. You'll see. Go on, click on it. You can link back to here from there when you're done.

Other blogs I've linked to include some friends of mine in the U.S. as well as my friend Bryan I met here, who made his debut in this very blog of mine the week of Thanksgiving. You can catch up on reading his entire blog pretty quickly because he NEVER POSTS and I harass him about that as much as possible. He's back in the U.S. now, and his reflections on here from there are just as amusing as were his reflections on here from here. Read it! I'm in that one, too.

Caroline is someone I don't actually know except via e-mail and reputation, because she is one of my predecessors at Susung Ding Ding Dang. She and her husband finished their year of indentured servitude last July and were replaced by the Canadian marrieds who currently work there with me. So the Brit I work with and the Candian who just left in January also worked with her, see. Her blog is righteous fun and it's particularly interesting for me to see so many similar observations of so many things, so many common experiences. In fact I haven't gone back and read her entire blog, but have read the current stuff back in Canada and the entries from her first four months or so in Korea; I'm reading it as her timeline mirrors mine.

Well, that's all about that. It's Friday night...I got another phenomenal food and treats package from my dad today, wow! So that was amazing. I am a lucky, lucky girl.

Seriously folks. I AM a lucky, lucky girl. And I want you all to know that I know that. I know that I could (should?) get by without so many luxuries like tortillas and shredded Mexican four-cheese blend and pop tarts sent from home. I know that sometimes I'm barely living in another world, like right now as I sit here e-mailing and blogging and web surfing entirely in English and listening to Boston's WBOS streaming live on the Internet with random New England commercials and everything . This is the amazing modern wired world we live in.

By the way did you know Korea is like the most wired nation on the planet? We've heard it has more high-speed Internet connections than any other country. Not per capita -- just, more!

There are so many purely genius things about this country. When people aren't spitting everywhere I think I could get used to being here for a long while...but that would preclude me from being elsewhere, so I know I won't stay more than a year. There are too many things to do, people to see, places in this great big wide world to go! Too many adventures to have! Remember when I finally reached my escape velocity from L.A.? I was hoping to do "seven years, seven cities." Then I accidentally stayed in Boston nearly three. It was good, there, though, and I built a nice little life and community and activities and my own little world that I kind of miss, actually. So maybe it will end up being more like "seven years, three or four cities, two countries, one law school." Or, something totally different and as yet unpredictable. Who's to say?

"Sometimes I ask to sneak a closer look,
skip to the final chapter of the book
and then maybe steer us clear from some of the pain it took
to get us where we are this far

But the question drowns in its futility,
and even I have got to laugh at me
No one gets to miss the storm of what will be

just holding on for the ride
The wood is tired, the wood is old,
and we'll make it fine if the weather holds
But if the weather holds, we'll have missed the point
That's where I need to go." ---Indigo Girls, 'The Wood Song'

No comments: