Thursday, April 20, 2006

커피

See, now it's going to be weird to go to Dunkin' Donuts in New England again!

First, it was weird to go to Dunkin' Donuts in New England because it was weird to go to Dunkin' Donuts. Growing up in the Southwest I totally associated Dunkin' Donuts with, well, doughnuts. And I hate doughnuts. Plus, I'd been to maybe two, and they were totally sketchy. They don't exist at all in California. So when I moved to New England and they a.)were everywhere b.)were shiny c.)had delicious coffee, I suddenly discovered a whole new world.

I still try to explain it sometimes to some of my peeps in the West. But the Northeastern types totally get it. That is some addictive coffee. (I even have a theory: Starbucks=cocaine, Dunkin' Donuts=crack. But I digress.)

Then, I came to Korea and there were fifty billion Dunkin' Donuts everywhere and I was just like, what? How did they decide to tap this market before, say, the entire U.S. West? But OK, whatever. And since most coffee shops in Korea don't open until eleven o 'clock or sometimes even afternoon (go figure) I settled on Dunkin' Donuts as my daily grind. I even made friends with the girls who work at the one that's on my route to work here.

It occurred to me the other day while I was getting my coffee that now it's going to be weird to be back at DDs in New England again. Yet another in the list of ways Korea has irrevocably changed me.

By the way, the title of this post is pronounced "k'oh-p'i."

1 comment:

KneuroKnut said...

Hey Linda...I practically lived at Dunkin Donuts while working at DDD! Iced ones in the summer and hot ones in the winter. I was never able to become a regular "coffee from the can" or "coffee from the machine" drinker. I read your blog all the time...good work, keep it up!

Caroline