Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Briefly, Oscar...

VERY briefly, because I have to go to class, to be expanded later...

  • Leo got a best actor nomination, and it's for Blood Diamond! I know everyone is agog and aghast he didn't get nominated for The Departed, but I'm not! I was just saying last night, even, that his performance in Blood Diamond was remarkable. Yay!
  • Speaking of Blood Diamond, I'm thrilled about Djimon Hounsou as well, and also for sound editing...who cares if that's "minor."
  • Just in general, delighted about all things Babel and Little Miss Sunshine.
  • My Dreamgirls backlash worked! Sort of. I've been kidding that I was going to start my own personal backlash against it because while it was great spectacle with great performances, I don't think it was a great film. And the Academy saw the light, bestowing the expected supporting acting nods on Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy, plus nominating it for song, art direction, costume, sound mixing...but rightfully withholding Best Picture and Best Director nominations...
  • And giving them to Clint for Letters From Iwo Jima. YES! I'm actually thinking this could give Scorsese a little competition...
  • And frankly, while it makes me happy that Melissa Etheridge is nominated for her song "I Need To Wake Up" from An Inconvenient Truth -- and I'm so excited she'll be strolling down the red carpet! How fun! And with Ellen hosting, too! You go, ladies -- that was not really a great film either. Important message, great science, good academic lecture -- just not a movie. Also, note to self, must check on how many times has there been a best song nominee from a documentary? Anyway, I love me some Al Gore (I even helped to elect him president once). But if you want to see a far better movie about how we've ruined everything, namely with our oil industry addiction, a film that is engaging, dramatic, and a wonderful documentary, then watch Who Killed the Electric Car? Which totally should have been nominated.
More later! Off to Civil Procedure I go.

No comments: