Sunday, January 25, 2009

Update

There are a few things I want to say, but I'm attending to many things right now, so I'll just update you on my Oscar viewing. We saw both of Kate's movies this weekend, The Reader and Revolutionary Road. I liked each more than I thought I would.

At the Golden Globes, after Kate won her "supporting" actress award for The Reader, Ricky Gervais said from the stage, "See, what did I tell you, do a Holocaust movie and the awards start coming?" Ha ha, but The Reader turned out to be really philosophical and looked at a bunch of things through some interesting new prisms. I recommend it, even if you have a Holocaust "wall." I would also like to point out ONCE AGAIN that hurrah Academy for nominating her for LEADING actress for it, because her Golden Globe and SAG Awards wins in the supporting category are pretty much crap. She was FIRST BILLED in the credits. As Brian said, "She was first-billed. Whom exactly was she supporting?" UGH.

So, today was Revolutionary Road. The critics apparently don't much like it, and most of what I've heard is that it's "depressing." So it's no surprise to me that I loved it. I tend to not react the same way my friends and reviewers do to these so-called "depressing" films. (Can we say The Hours ... I found it so deeply inspiring, so uplifting, so wondrous and life-affirming. Apparently I was alone in this reaction.) RR had a wonderful script, some fine performances including a well-deserved Best Supporting Actor nod for Michael Shannon, and a whole lot of thoughts about life. Intense, thoughtful, a little dark...and despite my 1950s "wall," I adored it.

That's all for now.

No comments: