Monday, May 01, 2006

Mayday!

I love May.

I love that it's May. I love the bright spring-ness in the air and the spring in my step this morning as I walked to work, despite having got very little sleep last night. (Let's just say we had an evening rehearsal for my play in a bar -- and the night went on from there.) I love the end-of-the-school-year feeling, and I love that I get to have it even though it's not actually the end of the Korean school year (and the hagwon school year never ends, besides). I especially love that this is the first time in many a year I haven't been wigging out in anticipation of my birthday! I've totally hated birthday approach the past few years, facing every May the same "another year over and what have I done?" sort of thoughts.

I don't feel like that this year.

I feel excited! I've loved living abroad. I've loved having this experience. I'm so thoroughly excited about going to law school. I have learned so many things here. And since reaching my escape velocity from Borders last fall, I have really had such a feeling of being on my path through life instead of desperately searching for it!

A random movie line keeps echoing in my mind these days. Some of you will surely roll your eyes, ye who don't appreciate the brilliance that is Pretty Woman. I know there are many Julia Roberts haters in the house. Whatever, man. Don't be a hater. I love when he asks if she can tell him how to get to his Beverly Hills hotel. Sure, she replies, for ten bucks. He balks. The price just went up to twenty, she informs him. He tells her that's ridiculous and she can't charge him for directions.

"I can do whatever I want," she says. "I'm not lost."

No comments: