Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday the 13th

I love Fridays the 13th. Love them, love them, love them. It just so happens that I like the number 13 in general, and that my birthday is a 13th so every few years I get to have it on Friday the 13th and I love that. I was spectacularly lucky and got to turn 13 on Friday the 13th, which was awesome. I love black cats, too.

When I was in Korea I taught the kidlets about Friday the 13th when one came around. In Korea, the unlucky number is four. (Weirdly, I also have a small obsession with the number 44. This scared them. Hi Marcia! Hi Joe!) Like, there was no theater #4 at the cinema I went to, and so on. I told them how we often don't have 13th floors in buildings. "But, why, teacher?" they'd ask. I''d say, "Exactly. See?" With the slightly more advanced classes we'd get into vocabulary like "bad luck," "good luck," and "superstitious." I like to think I was opening little minds to rational thought, but god knows they probably ran home and told their parents there was nothing wrong with the number four and then I had unwittingly committed some grievous cultural offense.

I also love Indigo Girls. Love, love, love, love them. My all-time favorite musical group.

And today, right here in New York, at Radio City Music Hall in fact, I will be seeing my Indigo Girls in concert on Friday the 13th. Top that!

Actually, I will top that. Perhaps. I just have this littlest tiny inkling that they might play "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" tonight. I don't know why I think this. I've seen them 25 times before and they've never played it for me. I've seen them three times in New York before and they've not played it. But they have played it live...they used to cover it years ago (it's an Elton John song, oh ye who are unaware)...they resurrected it in the last couple years...it was on their recently released Rarities album...this tour they're playing mostly things off their new studio album, with a band, and not lots of old songs of their own, so maybe, just maybe...? Because, you know what? It's second only to "Nashville" in my personal rankings of Songs I Desperately Want to Hear Indigo Girls Play Live. And for some reason, I woke up this morning with a good feeling that I might at long last get to experience it live. I'll let you know. Watch this space.

That's all. No rant. Nothing else to see here, folks. Just, a lucky day, indeed!

No comments: