Thursday, August 02, 2007

Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine SUNSHINE!!!

I've done a bunch of fun and lovely things since I last posted but easily one of the most exquisite experiences was going to see the movie Sunshine. I don't even know if I want to talk about it. I just want to see it again. It totally blew my mind. It is definitely one of the best film experiences I have had in a while. You are just totally, viscerally there. The music, the visuals, and the emotions grab hold and don't let go, and all the while you are intellectually processing and calculating as this space ship and crew head toward the dying sun to drop a nuclear bomb in it.

Questions of philosophy, questions of the meaning of life, questions of who is in charge of the universe...as if anything but the universe could be in control of the universe.

And while I could see it being categorized as science fiction, it really isn't. I mean, it's such gritty realism. No aliens, unheard of technology, or superpowers; no alternate universe; no futuristic mumbo-jumbo. It's kind of The X-Files brand of science fiction (which I love). Rather than offering up some irrational explanation for things we just sit around trying to come to grips with the rational ones, and that gives us quite enough to ponder.

All I wanted to do after seeing it was 1. see it again and 2. take a physics class.

Coming soon: my Official Literary Snob Report!

No comments: