Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Live free or cry

Oh my god, are we still talking about this? Really? So tears welled in Hillary Rodham Clinton's eyes the other day and no one can stop analyzing it. And this is on public radio, by the way, and not some squawking TV crap channel that generally acts as a mouthpiece for the Bush-Cheney-Rice et. al. war machine.

Um - do I really need to point out the obvious here? If tears well in the eyes of Barack Obama, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, or even Mitt Romney (wait, do robots cry?) then everyone would say, look how passionately patriotic he is. If John Edwards shed a tear everyone would probably say he feels so much compassion for his wife, etc. If Bush weeped, surrounded by soldiers and their weapons of mass destruction, everyone would slap their hands over their hearts.

Gee, what makes Clinton different from any of them?

You might also consider why you refer to her alone among the politicians by first name only. (Not that she isn't as terribly cool as Cher, Oprah, and Madonna...but I digress.)

Allow me to quote Meg Ryan as Captain Walden in Courage Under Fire, when the tears came: "It's just tension. It don't mean shit!"

(*spoiler alert* But they let her die anyway. Denzel couldn't save her...)

3 comments:

Kim Diaz said...

Well, amen...at least she won and she's still in.
Did you read Gloria Steinem's column yesterday in the NY Times? Everybody should...

jnap said...

Using first name vs. last is to be sure we have the right Clinton... I do not think of them as Clinton any more, nor Mr. President and Sen Clinton. I think of them as Bill and Hillary... it is easier...

linda said...

I have thought of that, of course, about why we use the first name. I myself call her Hillary all the time. But note that I said "Bush" and you knew to whom I referred. And he is a "legacy" (ahem). It's just interesting is all.