Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The last frontier

Even when our dreams are fascinating to us, they rarely are to others, unless the others starred in them. So I won't tell the plot etc. of my dream here. What I will tell you is that last night I had a dream that I got a job this summer in Alaska. It was vivid. So wickedly vivid, that I can remember even now many a detail. And I feel like it was some kind of sign.

Yesterday, a couple of law school friends and I stood around chatting and fretting about our lack of jobs/internships for this summer. As more and more people we know cement their gigs, others of us are like, hmmm, what will I do? where will I be? My main issue is that all the things I want to do (human rightsy internships) are unpaid, and my budget has decided it wants me to do a paid job. (gag. law firm. gag gag gag.)

And then, a dream. In which I clearly was given a job in Alaska, of all places, and I was flown there and given an apartment to live in, and a decent-paying job. Which, I might add, was not a human rightsy internship.

I know that not everyone takes such deliveries from the universe as intended signs but seriously--it's just that I never (well, hardly ever) remember a dream, and so clearly as the plot/characters/dialogue/setting of this one, without some effort, such as writing it down or telling it to someone immediately upon awakening. Or at the very least attempting to remember it. This one just stuck with me, creeping back into my thoughts all morning. What is it trying to tell me?

Because there is one place I know of where I can get a job and they pay for my airfare and apartment and a somewhat decent salary, and it sure ain't Alaska. But it's close. I passed by Alaska on the way there.

Then again, I would happily take it literally and move to Alaska for the summer. In the dream, in fact, at one point I was delighted when I realized, Hey! My forty-ninth state! And you know, I think there are a lot of cool, long-haired-freaky-people there.

"Signs, signs, everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?!"
--who wrote that song anyway? i don't know the names of anyone in the five man electrical band

1 comment:

raine studios said...

i can't wait to see what you decide to do!